Thursday, August 7, 2008

Getting Ready

We are finally into serious preparation for the journey. Don has prepared a great notebook with an itinerary, maps, hotel reservations, sights to see along the way. I love being married to a travel agent. Last spring we talked about what we wanted to see, and Voila! We now have a complete plan to follow! (And I didn't have to do any of the work.)

Stacks of things are appearing on beds and tables as we confront all the things that we might want to take, the things that we really want to take, and the things that we really need! Then there are the questions about how to pack in order to avoid carrying lots of stuff into the hotel every night. I will have a computer bag, my carry-on, and one suitcase. I like to taunt Don about this, because on all our European adventures he has had far more luggage than me. I discount the fact that he has been carrying teaching supplies on those trips. I prefer to feel superior.

We have both been working on clothing plans. 21 days means a lot of clothes, unless you want to visit a laundry, and we don't! And then, while we'll be leaving from and returning to hot summer weather, our destinations could be pretty chilly. So there are jacket and rain gear questions as well as lift-off and re-entery clothes. I've fallen back on the old trick of black pants, black shoes, and tops that go with them. That simplifies life so much. And I have this wonderful old rain coat with a zip out lining that I've been traveling with for about 24 years now. I pray that it will never wear out!

I asked Don is he thought we could actually spend three weeks together in one van and a succession of shared hotel rooms! We remain optimistic. And there is the old saw, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."

I think we'll get excited on the 15th. Right now we're working too hard to be excited!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home